Thursday, August 5, 2010

Intro

Hi! First, I have to say that I am NOT a medical professional, not a doctor, nor a nurse. I am however, as woman that had fibroids. After learning that I had fibroids, I was really concerned about the lack of information about fibroids online. Specially, information that targeted black woman.

After my recent myomectomy (July 15, 2010), I told many of my friends and family about my surgery. After telling them about my surgery, many then shared their own experience with fibroids. Those who had them removed by freezing them, having a myomectomy, or even a hysterectomy. Needless to say I was surprised!! Why is it that my cousin had her fibroids removed, one of my friends had a myomectomy, another friend had fibroids that were growing, and countless other black women that I knew were dealing with this issue in SILENCE!! The more I talked to people about my fibroids and surgery, the more I found out that just about each person I talked to knew at least 2 woman that dealt with this same issue. That's a lot of women!!

So, I've started this blog for three reasons.
  • The first is to capture my experience with having fibroids and my recent surgery to remove them.
  • The second reason is to have a place for black women to discuss our issues with fibroids.
  • And the third reason is to question, why aren't more people talking about how much fibroids affect black women!?!
I hope to start a conversation...share what I learned...and share my experience.

Here's to a healthy uterus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment